Saturday, January 29, 2011

What-if?

I feel like I've learned and grown more in the past five months than I have my entire life. I really truly believe that I have. Why? I've been stretched out of my comfort zone again and again, and again. The temporary pain of getting out of my bubble has brought forth abundant blessings incredible fruit that I never even knew could exist for me.

Changing churches seems simple enough, until you miss the people you've left and the safe security of familiarity. At first, it's so hard. Then you beg to go back to the people you know, the rules you were fine with, the programs that weren't there, and the snack time you knew would always be.

Going to a developing country doesn't sound challenging until you see the malnourished kidos, brain-injured glue-sniffing boys, and realize those horrifying statistics you blew past last week are reality for people just like you. Real first hand poverty is something you can't just put in the back of your mind. Those homeless kids, those high, black guys, those hole-in-the-ground bathrooms aren't just stories, they are real.


Swimming five days a week in a speedo was new for me. Feeling like you're going to die because your muscles are so sore was new too. Hearing unending guy gossip, public school drama and crack stories in the locker room from people that don’t share the same values you do.

Having your family sign their life away to a ministry doing God's incredible work in Kenya, Africa is stretching. It means your life will soon be doing cartwheels. I've never ever had to put my whole entire faith in someone non-physical just to see if we'll make it through the next month.

Yet, this change has been one of the best things that's ever happened to me.
Yes, the change was incredibly frustrating at the beginning. Yes, God has made me who I am today because of the sheltered life I had before. I realize that when change comes, we need to grab it and never let go. Don't run from it, embrace it!
,Go make some new friends, go talk to some new people, go DO something in your life, or take something out of your life. Just get away from the repetitive pattern of your day to day life, like worrying about YOUR next activity. Move on!

In Luke 10, God gave us two simple rules we can either live by, or live knowing:
"LOVE the Lord your God with all your heart with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. All the law and prophets hang on these two commands."

I want to live BY these rules, NOT just live knowing them. I’m sure you do too. If you don’t, then TRY to make it what you want to live by.
If all of us loved ALL of our fellow acquaintances, ALL of the homeless guys, ALL of the addicts we knew, ALL of the kids in your class as much as we love ourself... how different would our world be?

What if our beliefs were not the things that ripped us apart, but instead pulled us together? What-if?

1 comment:

Idela Kingsbury said...

Oooohhhh! I just found your blog, and it is so great!!!! Thanks Katy:} It really encouraged me to read it and I think a lot of the stuff in it is really speaking to me and exactly what I needed to hear! Thanks so much, keep it up!!!!!