Saturday, October 1, 2011

Short and Sweet Acts 3

[written for my bible study girls, but too powerful not to share]

As I read through this chapter I was struck by the simplicity of the first part of this chapter, primarily verse six.

Acts 3:6 ESV "6 But Peter said, "I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!"

I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you!! Wow, guys. What a daily prayer. And if it isn't a daily prayer, then it should be.

I have one challenging question: how is your prayer life? How is mine? Fine. And fine is NOT the way I want my quality time with my creator to be defined. What about you? Are you daily on your knees in prayer begging for His mercy? Because we need it, and take it without confession or thanks. I'm struggling with this right now. Admit that you're struggling with me?

How can we say we're Christian and in a relationship with God without actually spending any time with Him on a daily basis!? How can we say He's our best friend and then treat Him like the kid we avoid at debate class or Swim/soccer practice saying we don't have "time" to spend with Him?

I'm poor. So are you. We can't start a ministry that's Saving millions of starving kids. We can't go on street evangelism as teens. We can't be Peter the apostle who traveled the world to proclaim Christ.

But you know what we can do? Girls. We CAN Give Christ everything we have to offer. When we do, great things happen. When we give him our little money,our job, our school, our LIVES...saying we'll forget our selfish dreams and pick up our cross and follow Him.

Today give everything you have to God. Get on your knees in prayer. Fall on your face and beg that he would use the few resources we have to make HIS kingdom, not ours great.

With all the love and hurt of this life crushed into a quest for Christ,
Kate.

Ps. 69 days till I live in Kenya.

1 comment:

Nutty said...

Well, I think perhaps more of what that verse meant was this: although we in ourselves don't have the money or strength and abilities to do such things, what do we have? We have Jesus, and his power is to flow through us, his resources, His Spirit. That is the only thing that can change the world, the Spirit of God flowing through people in surrender to him. Our own passion is beautiful but insufficient. What in the verse did they give to the man? He was healed! He got up and walked! WE as God's people need to know what we have-- God, who is able to do things beyond what we can imagine, through us, according to His will, when we surrender to Him and spend time with Him asking Him to guide us and flow through us. We need to realize that what we have is GREATER than any earthy riches to help the world.